With a busy lifestyle, it is easy and convenient to ignore garage door maintenance works. After all, as long as the garage door opens and closes smoothly for you, it is perfect, right?
Not good. To avoid potential garage door problems such as, stuck garage doors, loud sounds, or sagging garage doors, it is essential to perform garage door maintenance tasks periodically. Maintaining it regularly would mean that the garage door will be convenient and easy for you to use. In a long run, it is worth it to invest some effort and time in marinating the garage door rather than spending more money on garage door repair projects. By performing garage door maintenance jobs, bigger problems could be ignored.
Garage door maintenance techniques:
There are several tips and techniques that could help you in maintaining your garage door on a regular basis:
- Clean the hardware of garage door regularly, especially the hinges, rollers, tracks, and latches. Try to use citrus based solvent or any mild household cleaner to help garage door function well. Lubricate the rollers and pulleys with oil. Normally, garage door needs oiling twice a year.
- Hinges or rollers that seem jammed can be fixed using lubrication techniques. You may use kerosene to lubricate them. Use a toothbrush to apply kerosene evenly. Rusted or damaged roller should be replaced with one.
- Perform monthly inspection. If garage door parts seem too loose or tight, damaged or misaligned then it is a right time to perform routine maintenance work. If garage door tasks look too hard or complicated, it is right to call a professional garage door technician.
Safety tips for garage door:
Even when you are doing garage door inspections, your and your family’s safety should not be compromised. The following mentioned are the great tips that ensure that everyone will stay safe during the home improvement project.
- Inform every member of your family that you are performing garage door maintenance jobs. In this way, they will avoid to open or close the garage door.
- Handle all power tools with care and make sure they will not go to wrong hand as they can be dangerous. They can hurt the kids if mishandle.
- If garage door works look complicated, call for a professional help. Unskilled hands might cause more damages and unwanted injuries.
As an important part of your house, the garage door deserves your attention, time, and money. Don’t delay the garage door maintenance procedures to ensure that problems are dealt with easily while they are still early. Don’t wait for the problems to boost before you deal with them. It will save a lot of time and money to patch up small problems before they become harder and bigger to handle.